Friday, March 7, 2008

Let's Talk Teeth...


Here's the situation. I have a 4 year old son who has been to the dentist 3 times now. The first time was for a teeth cleaning. They found 2 cavities. The second time was to fill the 2 cavities. The third time was for a teeth cleaning again where they found 2 MORE cavities. So, we go next week to get those 2 filled. WTH????? (Look at this cutie pie--and look at those white shiners...he has pretty choppers!)


We brush twice a day, use fluoride rinse at night (and now in the morning lately!) and have been flossing frequently. My husband and I have wonderful teeth. What gives? I don't understand. We are not underprivileged folks who can't take care of their teeth. They say that you get your dental health from your parents. I guess my son didn't get ours--maybe he is from the milk man.


I have asked and asked what to do. Then I Google online (which you should never do when you are concerned b/c it freaks you out even more), and of course, get freaked out. You can use too much fluoride, you can use too little fluoride, eat the wrong foods, etc....


It also, as we all know, has to do with what you eat. So, I analyze the food consumption of my 4 year old...he loves cheese, peanut butter, waffles, cornbread, Cheetos (who doesn't), strawberries, and goes through your typical fazes of eating a ton of other stuff like blueberries, pinto beans, Goldfish, apples, etc. I don't think that is eating too badly!


I have talked to the dentist, who is not a pediatric dentist, and he says that sometimes teeth are just like that. My son might end up with great adult teeth. He says the pits and grooves are deep, though he doesn't think he need sealants (I'm going to ask about that one again).


Dentist also asked about tonsils and adenoids. I know his tonsils aren't big, but the dentist is going to try to check adenoids next week when we do fillings.


Son does really well when they give him the SHOT, but you know it kills me as a mother. I try to get Daddy to take him every time. (I wimp out, but do take baby girl in for her shots...) I want my son to have a positive experience at the dentist, and so far he has had just that. But I know there's going to come a time when he thinks that he's going to get a poke every time at the dentist. We don't even tell him what they are going to do there so that he just can roll with the flow. He didn't even cry for the first shot. I probably would have for him, though, had I been there.


SO, help me out. I'm not sure it I'm forgetting anything else, but if I remember, I'll post again.


They even mentioned putting a toothbrush in the CAR for him to chew on. The boy isn't crazy about brushing his teeth in the first place, so not sure how that will pan out. I just want him to be healthy!


Oh, and he only drinks WATER, could care less about juices of any kind except for the random serving of OJ or apple juice, and we don't give him soda.

3 comments:

Sasha said...

You know, I've heard that- sometimes it's nothing you do or don't do, cavities just happen. It sounds like you are doing all that you can to take care of those chompers!

Kate said...

I was about to post the same thing as Sasha. I think some people are just more cavity prone than others. It's my totally unscientific opinion - but I know some people who's children gobble candy and soda with no cavities - and some who just drink water and eat healthy food and have them. Go figure!

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

I just found your blog and was reading your older posts. Has your dentist suggested Sealants? I have four children and one of mine has low enamel on her teeth and is at greater risk for getting cavities. So they put sealants on her back molars and so far it has worked.