Thursday, May 1, 2008

Possibly House Shopping?

It's been a while since I've been able to post. Husband has been out of town and I've had NO time to myself. I am NEEDING it. Big Brother scraped his knees on the concrete which I'm sure was painful but damn, he was a drama queen. On and on and on. I'm sure what he was thinking the whole time was, "It's a 4 year old thing, Mom, you wouldn't understand." I had to cut off the part of the band-aid that was flapping in the wind and he kept telling Daddy that I cut his boo-boo. I told him I didn't cut the boo-boo, but the band-aid, and he said, "Mommy, you aren't listening." Who does this kid think he is anyway?

Anyway, our realtor called to see if we could show our house on Wednesday morning this past week. OF COURSE she calls when Hubby is gone so I can do all the cleaning all by myself. With 2 small children behind me un-making the bed (I mean peeing in it), dropping food on the floor and making a mess in general. I asked her if she and my husband talk and make a plan to show the house while he's gone. She said yes. And that's why I like her. Because she is funny. And with the way the market is right now, you have to have a sense of humor. I'm just glad we are getting some looks right now.

With that being said, I have some questions for you Altanta area ladies. What are the good areas to live in between I-75 and I-85 north of Atlanta? Husband has us looking at Canton and Cumming mostly, but I also want to know what areas you guys like. Like what is near great schools and great shopping. That is my list. HA. Only two things. No, but really, schools are very important to us. And we do want to get the most bang for our buck as far as houses are concerned. So if you even know of neighborhoods that have nice homes and a great community feel (playgrounds, pool, etc), then I'd love to hear the names of them so I don't go in blindly.

So, help me out. Talk to me. Lemme hear your advice on the best schools, Target shopping centers , etc...and if you want to email me rather than comment b/c you are afraid of the freaks that stalk blogs, then my email is hikinco at bellsouth dot net.
Thanks!

8 comments:

tulipmom said...

I'm laughing out loud at the two small children peeing in your bed ... I remember how hard it was showing our house with 1 small child .... you deserve a lot of credit for doing it with two ... and by yourself.

I hope that husband of yours is coming home soon to give you a break.

Kim said...

I'm probably not a good person to ask because I don't like subdivisions. Every area has its own little personality, it just depends on what you're like and how you want to live.

I just say don't go only by test scores when it comes to school areas. We had friends who moved into supposedly "the best" HS district in the county but they hated it because it just wasn't right for them.

You can email me at Mom_on_the_run2001@yahoo.com and I can give you my opinion if you want it. I've lived here for almost 25 years as an adult and I've worked in different parts of town, and have friends that live all over the place.

You just have to define what kind of place you want to live in and you'll be able to find it here.

KK said...

Honestly, if you don't want to lose your freaking mind, find something that isn't too far from your job. We live in John's Creek and it's such a great part of the metro area. BUT, it's a 13 mile drive to my office and that takes me anywhere from 50-70 minutes each morning. I'm not lying.

I'll email you some more of my thoughts! :)

Buford Betty said...

Well Dunwoody/Sandy Springs is my hands down first choice. I just love it - I lived there right out of school and then my hub and I lived there for a few years till we hiked it up here to the sticks. At the time, I worked up 75 and my hub up 85, so Dunwoody was perfection.

I've said several times if we could pick up our house and yard and plot it in Dunwoody, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Great dining, shopping, and SO convenient to everywhere else in Atlanta. BUT it costs a freaking arm and possibly two legs to live there.

I also really like Roswell, but that's about as far west as I can go. I have a real aversion to Cobb County for some unknown reason. I was raised a Gwinnettian. Holla! Sorry... I've got serious Friday fever and am spouting all kinds of nonsense today. I need a margarita.

The Pink Clutch said...

Oh we are East Cobbers, but I do love myself some Roswell! But ... as far as schools go, I would chose one of the following:

Tritt-Hightower-Walton (this one may be Pope)
Mt Bethel-Dickerson-Walton
Timber Ridge-Dickerson-Walton

If you need more email me
mpmdesigns@gmail.com

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

WHAT?! I though you were moving into my crappy neighborhood...joking. Can't wait.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

Just found your blog! I'm a plaid FREAK! I love your header and have been trying to do something like for 6 months and have never figured out how to do it.

A. Rose said...

Thank goodness your realtor has a sense of humor! Being an Army brat I remember moving and some really stuffy realtors. Though I don't have children I do know two things, tour the schools in the neighborhood before you buy a house, and a school is only as good as the involvement of the parents. I attended 9 schools in 12 years and trust me they ranged drastically from DC to Memphis to FL, the best were the ones with an active PTA or parents group.