Friday, June 20, 2008

Sedation Shesmation...

So I'm a little on edge. Today we take Big Brother to the dentist for his sedation. The background of this is a long story and if you look back in my previous posts you will find more about this. I haven't figured out how to link stuff from previous posts to my current posts yet.

Anyway, long story short--took Big Brother to dentist at 3 1/2. He did great. They cleaned teeth and found a cavity. We went back, had it filled, they found another. The second time I decided it would be best for him to go to a Pediatric Dentist because he was beginning to get upset with the shots and such. The first two times he was SUCH a trooper, definitely more courageous than his momma, but I digress.

We go to Pediatric Dentist. They take x-rays and find 6 more cavities! (And yes, we actually brush his teeth. That's yet another long story.) So, they go in to put a crown on one filling that had fallen out (WTH?) after about 30 minutes I hear my kid crying. Ok. Screaming. (You aren't allowed to go back there once they begin because you might cause unnecessary drama. Me? Drama? Me want to go apesh*t on somebody when my baby starts crying?Nahhhh.) I try not to freak out and politely inform the receptionist (who seems oblivious to the fact that a small child is wailing--MY small child) that that is indeed my offspring and what the h*ll is going on?

Big Brother was struggling. And who can blame him? I've never even had a crown. Yes they used nitrous oxide (goofy gas) and a shot but he was just 'done'. The dentist said with the amount of cavities that he has that we should sedate him.

So a bazillion phone calls later to insurance --dental and medical--and we get it covered--almost $250 deductible and then they pay 90%. Today is the day. They have a Pediatric Anesthesiologist come one day a month to help out with these types of things. Your appointment time is based upon your age. Youngest kids go first.

Our appointment time is 12:15PM. This means I set alarm for 5:30am to wake up my son so I can feed him breakfast. He can have no food for 6 hours before and then no fluids for 3 hours before. For the love of all that's holy, pray for me everybody. Pray that Big Brother can last without too many meltdowns without food for this long and then without liquid. Pray that I can handle it when they give my baby a shot to knock him out so they can take him back and put an IV in his foot. Pray that they get everything they need to get done in his mouth once and for all (for now!). Pray that he wakes up calmly. Pray that this mama can keep herself sane through this procedure.

Yes, I know it's not like a transplant, but this is the biggest deal we've had in our family so far and we are very, very blessed. But I'm still concerned.

So for all you readers/lurkers who don't comment, now is the time. I need support from you. Just to know that you read this, you said a positive thought/mantra/prayer/lit a candle in my kid's honor, etc. would be extremely calming and reassuring to this mama.

Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes. It is only 7:30 in the morning and so far so good.

PS. While I was typing this the phone rang. Dentist office--a little one got sick so we're moved to 11:15am. Hallelujah! Were you guys thinking about us and praying already? Thanks!


Preppy Mama said...

Oh, this is breaking my heart because I totally fear this with my son. I am praying for you. Let us know how how it goes. Sending you hugs!!

Casey said...

Good luck this morning. We went through almost the same thing with my son, now 6, and he just recently became "ok" with the dentist.

Slacker Mama said...

I'll definitely keep you and your son in my thoughts today!

I'm sure he'll do great!

CM said...

Oh how I know your pain! Big sis has been through the same thing! After many crowns and procedures. Apparently me kids has weak and soft baby teeth. (I did too!) We learned our lesson with big sister, so when they told me little sister would need loads of dental work, our dentist decided the best course of action would be to do it at the hospital. They scheduled a surgery, we took her in, they put crowns on all her molars and poof we are done. It was a little scary, but definately better than making her afraid of the dentist for life, which is what is going on with big sister now.

tulipmom said...

Oh my goodness. I will definitely be thinking good thoughts for you and Big Brother today.

I feel for you re the sedation. SB had to be sedated for stitches in his ear a couple of years ago (something that would not have required sedation for most kids) and I was a wreck. He was sedated again last year when he had tubes and adenoid surgery.

I'll check back later to see how everything went.

tulipmom said...

Oh, and those eyes? What a heartbreaker he's going to be!!

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

You will do great. He will do great. It will be over before you know it.

I am thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way.

of course, when it's finished you'll need to buy yourself a treat!

Liz (The Preppy Lizard) said...

Good Luck this morning. I am sure he will do just fine! I'll keep you guys in my thoughts today.

Kristy said...

Definitely thinking of you today. Hope all goes perfect! Love your blog!


Lipstick said...

What an absolutely beautiful picture!!! It is now 7:45 PM so I know that everything is all over. I do hope it went well. I'll bet you are ready to get in the bed and go to sleep if you aren't there already! Hope you and Big Kid rest well tonight.

Cas said...

Sooo glad it all went well!