Saturday, May 16, 2009

Taking the FOR SALE sign down...

I can't even believe I'm typing this. Talk about d-r-a-m-a! Don't really know how to make this long story a short one, but I try.

We have had our house on the market for almost 2 years. I was pregnant when we put the sign in the yard. Our daughter is 19 months. We finally got an offer. It wasn't asking price, but a very good offer at that. (Nobody gets their asking price in this economy!) My husband had his company fax the relocation policy one final time--at noon. At 12:07 he was dialing his boss' number because the policy had changed. And apparently it had just changed. The previous policy said they'd pay up to 7% commission. It also said it would pay for storage and a place to rent for up to 30 days if necessary. This was going to be necessary because the buyers wanted to move in June 17th. Loans are taking an average of 45 days, so we knew we'd need a rental place.

So here it is, 2pm and he'd not heard from his boss. Finally his boss called back and said due to the economy, they'd changed their policy. Well, was somebody going to tell us perhaps? Like maybe before we signed our house away at 5PM? It has been crazy.

We had to counter back at full asking price and a later closing date. The people didn't bite back. My husband said we may as well have put on the counter offer paperwork, "How badly do ya want this house?" And in this economy, they could've picked another house in our neighborhood at a comparable price that was empty and could've moved right in. Granted, of course the house wouldn't be as nice as ours, but at least it would be available when they needed it.

So after almost 2 years of turmoil, showing this #%*&@#& house with less than 30 minutes notice sometimes, etc, it is over.

I don't really know how I feel. Relieved to a certain extent. I hate change. But looking at those other houses, those bigger houses so that my husband could have an office and my children could have a playroom, makes me a little sad.

Now I guess we are going to look in to adding on to our house. I can see the sawdust already....

2 comments:

Lipstick said...

Oh Plaid, I'm sorry. Just gearing up for one kind of change and then having to go in a completely different direction is just hard.

Stephanie said...

Oh I am so sorry! Selling a house seems like such an emotional roller coaster.

I hope things work out okay anyway.